I am a former elementary classroom teacher. This background strongly influences my research which aims to connect research and practice.
Pyle, A., & DeLuca, C. (in press). Assessment in play-based kindergarten classrooms: An empirical study of teacher perspectives and practices. The Journal of Educational Research.
Fesseha, E., & Pyle, A. (2016). Conceptualizing play-based learning from the kindergarten teacher’s perspective. International Journal of Early Years Education. DOI: 10.1080/09669760.2016.1174105
Pyle, A., & Danniels, E. (2015). Using a picture book to gain assent in research with young children. Early Child Development & Care. DOI:10.1080/03004430.2015.1100175
Hutchinson, N.L., Minnes, P., Brubridge, J., Dods, J., Pyle, A., & Dalton C. (2015). Perspectives of Canadian teacher candidates on inclusion of children with developmental disabilities: A mixed methods study. Exceptionality Education International, 25, 42–64.
Pyle, A., & Bigelow, A. (2015). Play in kindergarten: An interview and observational study in three Canadian classrooms. Early Childhood Education Journal. 43(5), 385–393.
Hutchinson, N., Pyle, A., Villeneuve, M., Dods, J., Dalton, C.J., & Minnes, P. (2014). Understanding parent advocacy during the transition to school of children with developmental disabilities: Three Canadian cases. Early Years: An International Research Journal (Special Issue: Transitions in the early years – policy, pedagogy, and partnership), 34(4), 348–363.
Pyle, A., & Luce-Kapler, R. (2014). Looking beyond the academic and developmental logics in kindergarten education: The role of Schwab's commonplaces in classroom-based research. Early Child Development and Care. doi: 10.1080/03004430.2014.897945
Pyle, A. & DeLuca, C. (2013). Assessment in the kindergarten classroom: An empirical study of teachers’ assessment approaches. Early Childhood Education Journal. DOI: 10.1007/s10643-012-0573-2
Pyle, A. (2012). Engaging young children in research through photo elicitation. Early Child Development and Care. DOI: 10.1080/03004430.2012.733944.
Pyle, A. (2011). Considering coherence: Teacher perceptions of the competing agendas of RTI and an existing special education model. Exceptionality Education International, 21(3), 66–81.
Pyle, A., Wade-Woolley, L., & Hutchinson, N. (2011). “Just listen to us” The role of teacher empowerment in the implementation of RTI. The Alberta Journal of Educational Research, 57(3), 258–272.
- APD 1272 Play and Education (OISE, University of Toronto)
- APD 2202 Childhood Education Seminar II: Advanced Teaching (OISE, University of Toronto)
- HDP1211 Psychological Foundations of Early Development & Education (OISE, University of Toronto)
- HDP2210 Introduction to Curriculum: Kindergarten (OISE, University of Toronto)
- Foci 238 Early Primary Education (Queen’s University)
- CURR 355 Language and Literacy Development and Practice (Queen’s University)
- CONT 803 Kindergarten Additional Qualification Specialist (Queen’s University)
- CONT 800 Kindergarten Additional Qualification (Queen’s University)
- Course Development
- CONT 803 - Kindergarten Additional Qualification Specialist, Queen’s University
- CONT 802 - Kindergarten Additional Qualification Course Part 2, Queen’s University
- CONT 801 Kindergarten Additional Qualification Part 1, Queen’s University
- CONT 800 Kindergarten Additional Qualification, Queen’s University