Back to Research at The Lab School
RECENT AND ONGOING RESEARCH
- Scardamalia, M. & Chow, A. Motivation for Knowledge Building. (Spring 2009 – SK/Grade 3 – 6)
- Peskin, J. & Comay, J. Thinking about the readers’ mind to examine the development of reader awareness as children learn to produce written text. (Spring 2009 – Nurs – Grade 2)
- Sinclair, N. & Tabaghi, S. New forms of mathematical thinking for the 21st century. (January 2009, Senior Kindergarten/Grade One)
- Zhang, J., Messina, R., Peebles, B., Stevens, R., & Ferrer-Mico, M. Collective responsibility for deepening inquiry: a focus on progressive questioning in a communal space. (September 08 – December 2008, Grades 5/6)
- Nguyen, T. The ability to reason with identity statements and its relations to the understanding of false beliefs. (Fall 2008, Nursery/Junior Kindergarten)
- Scardamalia, M., Morley, E., Teo, C. & Mcguire, J. Documenting a knowledge building community. (November 2008 – November 2009, Grade One)
- Lee, K. & Anzures, G. Development of face expertise. (2008-ongoing)
- Moss, J., Beatty, R., Morley, E. & Messina, R. Institute of Child Study laboratory school lesson study: a collaborative approach to preservice teacher education. (Fall 2008 – Grade 5/6)
- Scardamalia, M., Bereiter, C. & Laferriere, T. Understanding the nature of science and scientific progress: a theory building approach. (December 2007 - ongoing, Junior Grades & Teachers)
- Scardamalia, M. Beyond best practice: Research-based innovation in learning and knowledge work. (2002 to present – All Grades)
COMPLETED RESEARCH REPORTS & DISSEMINATION
- Dack, L.A., Astington, J.W., & Watson, S. (2009, April). Deontic and epistemic reasoning in children. Poster to be presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Denver, CO. (04/05, 05/06 & 06/07 ICS data)
- Loke, I.C. & Astington, J.W. (2009, April). Children’s understanding of intentional causation in moral reasoning about harmful behaviour. Poster presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Denver, CO.
- Zhang, J., Scardamalia, M., Reeve, R., & Messina, R. (2009). Designs for collective cognitive responsibility in knowledge building communities. Journal of the Learning Sciences, Volume 18, Issue 1.
- Dack, L.A. (2008, April) Deontic and epistemic reasoning in children. PhD Dissertation defended at OISE/UT.
- Zhang, J., Teo, C., Scardamalia, M. & Morley, E. “Constantly going deeper”: knowledge building innovation in an elementary professional community. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, March 2008
- Dack, L.A. & Astington, J.W. (2007, Oct.). Children’s deontic reasoning: Effects of context and language. Poster presented at the Fifth Biennial Meeting of the Cognitive Development Society, Sante Fe, NM. (05/06 & 06/07 ICS data)
- Dack, L.A., Astington, J.W., & Watson, S. (2007, March). The effects of authority figures on preschool children’s reasoning about rules and statements. Poster presented at the Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Boston, MA. (05/06 & 06/07 ICS data)
- Comay, J (2005) Further development in social reasoning revealed in narrative discourse. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Jean Piaget Society, Vancouver, BC.
- Comay, J., Bakos, R., & Astington, J.W. (2002, April) Language and theory-of-mind development: children’s narrative production. Poster presented at the International Conference – Why Language Matters for Theory of Mind, University of Toronto.
- Dack, L.A. & Astington, J.W. (2005, June). Beyond theory of mind: Reasoning based on social rules. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting for the Jean Piaget Society, Vancouver, BC. (04/05 ICS Grade 2 data)